Job Title: Bi-Lingual (Spanish) Social Worker
Department: Rehabilitation Services
Employee Status: Exempt Professional-Learned Professional
Reports to: Director of Social Work
Primary Location: VISIONS at Greenwich Street
Please Send Your Resume and Cover Letter To:
Tina Buchula, Director of Social Work
This position encompasses three distinct components: social casework with participants and their families, assistance with benefits and outreach to recruit potential participants.
The Social Worker offers time-limited adjustment to blindness counseling and case assistance to people who are blind or visually impaired of all ages. The Social Worker serves as a bridge between participants with vision loss, other service providers and VISIONS. People who are Visually impaired or blind often need advocates to assist in accessing community based mental health or health services. The Social Worker locates benefits and programs, makes a referral and facilitates acceptance of identified services. The Social Worker provides adjustment to blindness counseling with consumers who are having difficulty adjusting to their vision loss as well as counsels their family to support the participant’s independence at school, home, work and in the community. Individual and group approaches may be used.
In the area of community outreach and training, the Social Worker plans, organizes, implements and documents outreach, public education and community activities to recruit participants through referrals from other agencies.
The Social Worker may need to work throughout the five boroughs of New York City, Westchester and Long Island dependent on accessibility by public transit.
The Social Worker accomplishes these responsibilities with dependability, initiative, and creativity. This position requires a strong ability to multitask. This position also requires solid interpersonal skills, an ability to work well with an interdisciplinary team, careful attention to detail and the treating of personal information with confidentiality.
Most of this job can be performed virtually with approval of immediate supervisor and either COO, CEO or CPO. The Social Worker will be required to meet with participants in person as per participant preference and NYSCB requirements. Site visits to government and other agencies may be required on a case-by-case basis.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Provide adjustment to blindness counseling with individuals and their families who are having difficulty dealing with their vision loss.
- Provides short-term crisis intervention for individuals who are newly blind or visually impaired.
- Home visits are required. Travel to individuals’ homes or neighborhoods in all areas of New York City, Westchester and Long Island to provide Social Work Services whenever necessary.
- Conduct needs assessment and provide assistance with linkage to entitlements and benefits for individuals who are blind or visually impaired. Examples of benefits or services individuals may be linked to include: SSI, Food Stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security Disability, housing, meals-on-wheels and homecare.
- Complete all required paperwork including applications for benefits and services.
- Maintain records and complete reports required by funding sources and/or VISIONS.
- Meet with participants and/or family members to address problems and concerns related to rehabilitation services individually, in groups or by special event.
- Complete assessments with participants over the telephone, video conference and in their home when necessary.
- Answer general information calls about all VISIONS services.
- Participate in agency outreach and public education activities when assigned.
- Identify individuals who can benefit from VISIONS services.
- Establish collaborative relationships with other nonprofit organizations.
- Conduct presentations or training for nonprofit service providers or groups who may have visually impaired or blind members.
- Involvement in professional development activities from both a participant and presenter perspective.
- Complete all required written reports in compliance with standardized departmental guidelines: submit reports in a timely fashion.
- Other duties as assigned may include meeting with consumers at VISIONS at Selis Manor.
- May be required to work some evenings and weekends.
- Provide services during programs at VCB as assigned by the Director of VRT and Outreach
- Participate in special projects/grant projects as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in Social Work. Familiarity or interest in working with people with disabilities. Licensed by NYS or eligible to take the licensure exam. Must be licensed within one year of hire.
- Be fluent in spoken and written Spanish.
- Good written, spoken, and telephone communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to relate well with people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Mid-level computer literacy.
- If qualified (3 years post Masters experience) may supervise social work interns.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.