Job Title: Office Assistant
Department: Finance and Administration
Reports to: Director of HR Operations
Status: Part-Time, Nonexempt
Primary Locations: VISIONS Headquarters, 500 Greenwich Street, Suite 302, New York, NY 10013
Salary Range: $21/Hour, Maximum 14 Hours Per Week
The role of the Office Assistant is to ensure that the facilities and office services are maintained and run smoothly, such as changing light bulbs, making sure all office equipment (fax machine, copiers etc.) is working properly, restocking paper in the copy machines, mailing shipments, etc. This position plays a key role in responding to facility and general office requests. Must be a self-starter, be able to interface with a diverse group of people, and work well in a team environment. Must be willing to take on simple and complex tasks and respond efficiently and enthusiastically to all internal and external requests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Process daily US mail and interoffice correspondence; including distribution of incoming and preparing outgoing mail and packages.
- Check daily the postage meter for sufficient funds and report to management when the amount is low (i.e. $25), for immediate upload of funding by the COO or Director of HR Operation.
- Perform ongoing spot checks of all safety aid kits on the premise to ensure they are filled with all necessary items.
- Print agency envelope and updated letterhead.
- Restocking supplies and paper in the copy machines.
- Assist with the distribution of all packages, incoming and outgoing mail.
- Prepare all shipments via UPS website, including tracking of shipments and delivery of packages to UPS when UPS fails to pick up.
- Coordinate the maintenance, storage, packing, and shipping of student equipment and agency educational materials.
- Maintain records of all outgoing and incoming shipments from and to take place of delivery (UPS).
- Check the accuracy of student equipment, especially those that are fragile and securely delivered.
- Assist with general office maintenance at the facility at 500 Greenwich St. such as setting up workstations, furniture resembles, lightbulb and equipment batteries replacements etc.
- Coordinate with Supervisor to create a facility inspection checklist and perform monthly inspections.
- Keep all emergency exits clear of boxes and make sure that all exit doors and 3rd floor lobby are secure (All premises must meet fire department and OSHA standards).
- Maintain office supplies and pantry items by checking stock to determine inventory levels.
- Follow up with departure supplies and inventories, such as verifying receipts, stocking items, and delivering supplies to work stations.
- Perform errands that assist daily functions: post office, bank, etc.
- Operates office equipment (office copiers, postage meter, phone system, fax machine, PC. etc).
- Troubleshoot machine failures, such as completing preventive maintenance; monitoring equipment operation; calling for repairs and ensuring repairs are made in a timely manner.
- Change fax/copy machine toner and make sure that there is sufficient paper in the machine.
- Provide backup support to the Fiscal and Admin department, incl. phone coverage.
- Maintain files o damage claims and collect the bill of lading to be submitted to the CFO.
- Respond to facility-related emergencies, as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Ability to follow directions to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Experienced administrative professional who is dependable and highly organized with business, maturity, discretion, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude.
- Computer skills, including internet and use of email.
- Cheerful presence and people skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Self-starter who can finish tasks as assigned.
- Skill in establishing priorities and managing workload.
- Ability to work with flexibility, reliability and as a team player.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Business College training an advantage
- Previous office experience required
- Competent computer skills.
$21 per hour, maximum 14 hours per week
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The position is located at VISIONS main office at 500 Greenwich Street, New York, NY 10013.
Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to Queenie Lao, Director of HR Operations at email@example.com
VISIONS is a 501(c)3 nonprofit vision rehabilitation and social service agency incorporated in 1926. VISIONS provides services for blind and visually impaired people of all ages in the Greater New York Metropolitan Area.
VISIONS is an equal opportunity employer. All job candidates, consultants, volunteers, and interns 18 years of age and older, must consent to a background investigation after a preliminary job offer, references and education verification.