- In this book, you will find everything you need from history to resources. This book goes in-depth about all you must know about services for yourself/your child.
- Updated: September, 2019
VISIONS NYC Youth and Vision Loss Coalition
The Youth and Vision Loss Coalition was founded on November 1, 2013 with the generous support of The New York Community Trust and JP Morgan Chase-de Coizart Charitable Trust. VISIONS/Services for the Blind hosts quarterly meetings of affiliate agencies committed to accessibility for youth with vision loss.
The purpose of the Coalition is to:
- provide information and resources to young people who are blind or experiencing vision loss and parents, guardians and caregivers
- improve the quality and extent of services, to children with vision loss from birth to twenty-one years
- advocate for better systems in all realms (education, social, etc.) to better meet the complex needs of the increasing numbers of children with vision loss including those with multiple disabilities
- advocate for specialized vision services for all children who need them in the most appropriate setting for full implementation of the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and its amendments.
There is no cost to be a Coalition affiliate.
The Coalition involves organizations that offer all young people with vision loss the services that will allow them to get the full range of opportunities they need and want.
The Coalition has developed and distributed five handbooks respective to the transition needs of blind youth based on their age range
- Early Intervention
- School Age (Kindergarten to 12th grade)
- Transition to Adulthood
Eye On The Future (Parent Resource Meeeting)
Please join us every month for a virtual evening of resources shared in a safe space, featuring guest speakers every month on topics related to the needs of visually impaired youth!
On This Webpage, Visitors Will Find:
- Do you know what the early intervention process, especially when providing services to your child? This handbook reviews all of this plus more!
- Updated: February 2017
- The preschool handbook introduces you the start of your child’s learning career.
- Updated: December 2018
- Elementary and Middle School are usually the hardest milestones to tackle. However, this handbook will detail whatever you need to know for your child’s advancement.
- October 2018
- The question of ‘what comes next?’ and the how to’s for a successful transition to adulthood can be found in our Transition handbook.
- Updated December 2018