- In this book, you will find everything you need from history to resources. This book goes in-depth about all you must know about services for yourself/your child.
- Updated: September, 2019
VISIONS NYC Youth and Vision Loss Coalition
The Youth and Vision Loss Coalition was founded on November 1, 2013 with the generous support of The New York Community Trust and JP Morgan Chase-de Coizart Charitable Trust. VISIONS/Services for the Blind hosts quarterly meetings of affiliate agencies committed to accessibility for youth with vision loss.
The purpose of the Coalition is to:
- provide information and resources to young people who are blind or experiencing vision loss and parents, guardians and caregivers
- improve the quality and extent of services, to children with vision loss from birth to twenty-one years
- advocate for better systems in all realms (education, social, etc.) to better meet the complex needs of the increasing numbers of children with vision loss including those with multiple disabilities
- advocate for specialized vision services for all children who need them in the most appropriate setting for full implementation of the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and its amendments.
There is no cost to be a Coalition affiliate.
The Coalition involves organizations that offer all young people with vision loss the services that will allow them to get the full range of opportunities they need and want.
The Coalition has developed and distributed five handbooks respective to the transition needs of blind youth based on their age range
- Early Intervention
- School Age (Kindergarten to 12th grade)
- Transition to Adulthood
On This Webpage, Visitors Will Find:
The New York Vision Loss Coalition Presents:
Eye On The Future
Resources for Parents of Visually Impaired Youth
Please join us the 4th Tuesday of every month for an evening of resources shared in a safe space. There will be a guest speaker every month on a topic related to the needs of visually impaired youth.
For more information or if you would like to join the New York City Youth and Vision Loss Coalition, please contact VISIONS/Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired: