Job Title: VCB Program Associate
Department: VISIONS Center on Blindness (VCB)
Reports to: VCB Residential Programs Manager and VRC Senior Program Manager
Primary Location: VISIONS Center on Blindness, 111 Summit Park Rd, Spring Valley, NY 10977
Salary Range: $21-$25 per hour
The VISIONS Center on Blindness (VCB) Program Associate is responsible for assisting in the execution and management of VISIONS VCB and Vocational Rehabilitation Center (VRC) programming, currently funded by the NYS Commission for the Blind and other independent donations. Under the supervision of the VRC Senior Program Manager and task supervision of the VCB Program Manager, the Program Associate supports VCB to meet the annual goals of unduplicated participants; Goal: 600+ unduplicated participants annually. The Program Associate plays vital role to ensure the intake/registration procedures for all the programs at VCB are followed and when necessary to provide direct program support in the VRC and VCB residential programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Including the following, and other duties may be assigned
Administrative Responsibilities (VRC Programs)
- Handle all the duties associated with staffing the reception area in the VRC including but not limited to phone handling, greeting, COVID screening completions, deliveries, etc.
- Ensure registration procedures are properly followed for all participants for all sessions located at the VRC, including Pre-ETS, 5-Week VRS (Independent Living), ATC, TAPS, College Work Readiness, and Pre-Voc. Obtain paperwork from Workforce and Youth Services for all participants staying at the VRC under their programs.
- Assist Sr. Tech Instructor in the scheduling of ATC services by coordinating any transportation needs
- Maintain collection tracking schedules for Pre-ETS and ATC services as assigned by the VRC Sr. Program Manager.
- Prepare report deadlines for Pre-ETS, VRS, ATC and any other VRC programs. Remind instructors to submit them to VRC SPM at least two days before the due date. Collect the reports and organized them in the shared.
- Submit reports and other required paperwork to the New York State Commission for the Blind’s (NYSCB) CIS database and all other Commissions for the Blind in the format of their choice/requirement.
- Send weekly schedules to participants attending residential sessions in the VRC in their modality of choice (Braille, email, large print, etc.).
Administrative Responsibilities (VCB Programs)
- Prepare and execute two mass mailings per year for VCB weekend and summer programs. Send mass emails to all participants regarding virtual programming.
- Assist in the scheduling and implementation of a minimum of eight VCB weekend sessions per year, plus 6 Virtual VCB sessions during the winter months.
- Register participants for VCB programs, including assisting with application completion where needed, utilizing the session tracking sheets and inputting participant attendance into Apricot within 24 hours after the close of each weekend/summer/day program. Communicate to VCB Program Manager any accommodations needed, including medication refrigerators, dietary requirements, space for guide dogs, ramp accessible dorm, etc.
- Assist with the development of healthy living and socialization services including the following: physical health/exercise, health management, mental health programs, arts & culture, technology and education programs.
- The Program Associate may be expected to run classes during any of the VCB and VRC residential sessions.
- As assigned, assist participants during internship rotations and provide job coaching when necessary.
- Act as a task supervisor for any interns or Work Experience Training (WET) participants. Write an evaluation for each participant at the end of each semester to be uploaded into the NYSCB database (CIS).
Community Outreach and Public Relations
- Participate in outreach/networking opportunities to publicize the VISIONS Residential programming and to recruit youth volunteers and participants.
- Support VCB and VRC Senior Program Managers, as well as PR/Marketing Coordinator, with outreach and marketing efforts as needed.
- Establish and maintain participant files (electronic, paper when necessary) in the shared Google Drives and the Agency-Wide Database (Apricot).
- Perform data entry in Apricot, VIISONS participant information database, inputting client data, registering participants for all residential programming, adding authorization information for the ATC, and VCB/VRC residential programs. Ensure that Apricot is updated when new information is received for each program session.
- Support VRC and VCB Senior Program Managers to prepare quarterly VCB reports. These are submitted to the Chief Program Officer as part of the quarterly reports submission for the department. Reports include updates on significant challenges and/or successes within VCB, and progress towards reaching any government and foundation grant goals, etc.
- Administer and collect self-reported outcome surveys, and provide annual reports of program impact.
- Answer, respond, and properly route phone calls to the department with a one business day turnaround time.
- Prepare written instructions during vacations/time off, so that the immediate supervisor or another designated staff member can implement procedures in the incumbent’s absence.
- Work collaboratively with other departments to ensure VISIONS success.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position works out of VISIONS VCB, 111 Summit Park Road, Spring Valley in Rockland County, New York,
Flexibility to work evenings and weekends if needed.
Skills and Qualifications
Attention to detail, ability to work independently, ability to interact with staff and vendors, must be a self-starter, well organized, a team player and understanding of the philosophy of a nonprofit service organization and the impact that it has on the culture and operation of the agency. Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
College Degree preferred with 1+ year of experience or high school diploma with 3+ years of customer service/administrative/program experience
- Cheerful presence and people skills; ability to interact with staff and vendors; fun, creative, and committed to a positive program experience for participants and staff
- Must be a self-starter, well organized, and team player
- Solid understanding of the philosophy of a nonprofit service organization and the impact that it has on the culture and operation of the agency.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Extremely organized with an eye for detail, able to create and maintain effective systems, and manage multiple assignments while meeting deadlines.
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook and Google apps
- Excellent data entry ability is required.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a high-performing team and outcomes-driven environment
- Openness to feedback and desire to grow professionally
- Project management experience is a plus
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus
$21-$25 per hour, commensurate with experience
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter to: Jennifer Tetefsky, VRC Senior Program Manager, email@example.com.
VISIONS is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit rehabilitation and social service agency incorporated in 1926. VISIONS provides service for blind and visually impaired people of all ages in the Greater New York Metropolitan Area.
VISIONS is an equal opportunity employer. All job candidates, consultants, volunteers, and interns 18 years of age and older, must consent to a background investigation including a criminal justice system search, reference and education checks.
VISIONS Employees should report any equipment malfunction, repair needs or any broken item. At no time should there be any attempt to fix any item without written authorization and inclusion in the job description. Safety and risk management is everyone’s responsibility.